Published: 18:00, 09 March 2016
Campaigners have branded new plans “offensive and oppressive” and inappropriate for a plot of seafront land.
Whitstable’s Oval Chalet site, behind the Tile Warehouse in Sea Street, was sold by Canterbury City Council to Sea Street Developments for £150,000 in December 2014.
Protesters, who have claimed the land was sold far too cheaply, are embroiled in an ongoing legal row with the council.
But despite revised plans being submitted by developers and architects Lee Evans Planning last month, campaigners remain strongly opposed.
It was revealed that the new proposals would contain the same mix of uses as the July 2015 application.
But there would be more designated public open space to be used an urban square or piazza fronting the Sea Wall opposite Reeves Beach.
Oval Chalet Preservation Community (OCPC) teamed up with The Whitstable Society and continue to fight for the land to be kept as public open space.
OCPC co-chairman Suzanne Blaustone said the proposed development was “a towering block of massive proportions”.
She said: “The new development is massive and obstructive and its size and design effectively prohibits any community enjoyment or use in the future.”
The group has also had computer-aided designs created and claims that five five-storey high developments will block sunlight for residents in the area, breaching quality of life.
It says their study proves the information released by developers last month is misleading and unacceptable for the conservation area of Whitstable.
The OCPC is now calling for planning officers and councillors to review their study to see the density and mass of the buildings proposed for the site.
In response Jeanne Taylor of Lee Evans Planning said: "We have only just received the comments of the OCPC.
"We consider that the revised scheme addresses the comments made in response to the previous application.
"We will consider and respond to the OCPC comments in due course."
The council continues to invite comments on the application until March 18, before consideration by the planning committee.
The new application follows last month’s threat of a judicial review.
The council was given a final chance to avoid a court challenge by campaigners over the sale of the land.
In response, the council warned that even if campaigners found success with a judicial review, the same decision would be taken to sell the land again.
Campaigners are holding a public meeting from 7pm until 9pm at St John's Methodist Church in Argyle Road on Wednesday, March 16.
They will be putting forward views as to why the development should not receive planning permission.
To view the application or leave a comment visit the city council’s website before Friday, March 18.