Home   Whitstable   News   Article

Perry Redmond 'too emotional' to be sentenced for hammer attack on pensioner in Yorkletts, Whitstable

More news, no ads


The “hammer kisser” who tried to murder a pensioner by repeatedly beating her until she collapsed was “too emotional” to appear in court today.

Bullying Perry Redmond was expecting to find out how long he will serve in jail for the savage beating of the 72-year-old.

The wannabe doorman smashed a claw hammer into his victim’s face before kissing it and tossing it away as police arrived.

Dargate Road, Whitstable. Stock image
Dargate Road, Whitstable. Stock image

But now Judge Heather Norton has decided to ask for reports into the 49 year old’s mental state before passing sentence.

Redmond, of Wheatsheaf Close, Faversham, could face a life sentence after being convicted of attempted murder.

He had walked out at the beginning of the trial at Canterbury Crown Court and refused to return.

Today, he had a private video conference with his barrister Paul Hogben but then demanded his jailers return him to his cell.

He said Redmond was “too emotional” and could not face appearing by video link from HMP Elmley.

The judge then postponed sentence until next month so the probation service could produce a report on what danger he still poses to the public.

Perry Redmond savagely beat a pensioner with a hammer
Perry Redmond savagely beat a pensioner with a hammer

Mr Hogben said his client was willing to co-operate with probation officers tasked to prepare the detailed report.

During the trial, the jury were shocked after being shown bodyworn footage of the savage attack – which caught the raging thug screaming at female police officers who bravely arrested him.

Redmond had smashed the nose and teeth of his victim during the incident in May and then “kissed the hammer".

He ordered the terrified woman to get on her knees and "beg for your life".

As the prosecutor was about to show shocking CCTV footage of part of the incident which happened in Dargate Road, the defending left the dock.

The judge told the jury that the defendant had “voluntarily absented himself” from the trial.

Allister Walker, prosecutor said Redmond had befriended the victim and had asked him to stay at her home while she was visiting a daughter in Spain.

Dargate Road. Stock image
Dargate Road. Stock image

He said later Redmond turned up asking for money and was told the pensioner couldn’t lend him any.

“He then attacked her with a frying pan. He then stopped that attack, went to his camper van which was parked next door and returned with a claw hammer.

“He then repeatedly hit her over the head and face. She tried to get away but he pursued her outside where he continued beating her until she lost consciousness.”

Redmond had then walked away leaving his victim “terribly injured” suffering from nose, teeth and lip injuries, a broken collar bone, and fractured ribs.

He said that despite her wounds, she recovered to take herself back into her home for safety and shut herself inside her bathroom.

Mr Walker added: “That action may have saved her life as the defendant then returned minutes later and tried to get inside.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More