Published: 13:26, 05 May 2021
| Updated: 15:50, 06 May 2021
Travellers who pitched-up at a seaside car park have left the site after negotiations with the city council and the police.
It follows their arrival at the site in Swalecliffe Avenue, Swalecliffe, where a height barrier had been broken, on Tuesday.
The authority now has its powers to promptly evict traveller encampments restored, having had them curtailed during the pandemic lockdown.
Their presence in the car park had sparked both anger and support on social media, with some questioning why they were able to park there for free without buying tickets, which cost £1.50 a day during the week and £3 a day at weekends.
One neighbour said: "They arrived in their droves, but you have to pay to park in this car park now so will there be traffic wardens to check?
"This is a regular occurrence every May Bank Holiday and residents are getting fed up with it."
But writing on Herne Bay Chatter Facebook page, another said: "It happens every year. What's the problem?
"The problem is, people, especially people with a small town mentality do not like seeing different. It's a mixture of ignorance, prejudice and jealousy."
And there was support from another commenter who added: "Don’t see what the issue is to be fair if they're not causing any trouble. Wouldn’t be commenting if it was full of cars."
In February, a group of travellers moved in on the Hampton car park and were allowed to stay, eventually leaving of their own volition.
City council spokesman Rob Davies confirmed they had left the site, and said: "Police and council officers visited the site yesterday to move them on as soon as possible."