Published: 08:50, 04 December 2017
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to a fire in a first floor bedroom in Manorfield, Ashford at 5.13pm yesterday.
It is believed the occupants had turned the hot water on before going out and returned to find their home full of smoke and their alarms sounding.
After opening the door to investigate and seeing thick smoke coming down their stairs, the couple rang 999 and waited outside for the fire service.
Two fire engines quickly arrived at the scene and a breathing apparatus team used thermal imaging cameras to locate the fire in an airing cupboard in the bedroom.
The contents of the airing cupboard - sheets, bedding and towels - were smouldering, so crews were able to pass affected items out of the bedroom window and used a hose reel to damp down.
After isolating the gas, electric and water, they checked the water pipe lagging in the loft area and stripped out the airing cupboard door frame to ensure there was no fire spread.
A special fan was used to clear the smoke.
A neighbouring home was also evacuated as a precaution until the extent of the fire was known.
Other neighbours provided assistance to those temporarily displaced from their homes while firefighters dealt with the incident, which caused a small amount of water, heat and smoke damage to the affected home.
Firefighters left the scene shortly after 6.30pm.
From academic achievements to engineering accolades and new facilities, Kent College offers students an outstanding school life.
Enter this month’s competition and you could win a luxurious return crossing!Sponsored editorial
There's no uniform or bells and students and staff are on first name terms. School life at Rochester Independent College is unique.
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.