Published: 11:46, 08 November 2017
A coiled-up extension lead sparked a house fire in Hamstreet.
Fire crews raced to the blaze in the property in Bank Side shortly before 8pm last night.
They have now issued a safety warning following the incident, which was caused by the overheating lead used to power a tumble drier.
Ashford watch manager Kevin Surridge said: “A breathing apparatus team found a coiled-up extension reel, that was run to a tumble drier in a first-floor rear bedroom, had sparked the blaze.
“As the weather cools down, we start to use more electrical appliances around our homes, but my advice would be to only use them when you are there, never leave them running while you’re asleep or away from your home.
“Just because there might be space to plug in four appliances on an extension lead, it doesn’t mean it is always safe to do so.
“People need to make sure their home and family are safe from the devastating effects of fire this winter by having working smoke alarms and testing them regularly.”
The blaze was discovered by a neighbour who heard the smoke alarms sounding and went into the house.
The owner was not home at the time so the neighbour tried to put the fire out, taking in smoke in the process.
Three fire engines were sent to the end-of-terrace property and found smoke billowing from the rear of the house when they arrived.
They gave the neighbour oxygen before handing him into the care of an-off duty paramedic for precautionary checks.
The blaze caused extensive heat and smoke damage to the first floor of the home.
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.