Published: 14:04, 17 November 2012 |
Updated: 09:43, 10 January 2014
A young woman had a lucky escape, after the ground floor of her house caught fire.
Firefighters were called to the scene in Repton Manor Road, Ashford, at around 8.25pm last night (Friday).
Two pumps - one from Ashford and another from Aldington - attended the location at a semi-detached house.
Around nine crew members using breathing apparatus and a positive pressure pump - a type of giant fan used to clear smoke - worked for around one and a half hours to bring the blaze under control.
Although no smoke alarms were fitted, fortunately the sole inhabitant of the house - a young woman - escaped unharmed.
The property itself is understood to have sustained significant damage.
Tim Hanley, crew manager of Ashford's Green Watch, is calling on people to have smoke alarms fitted.
He added: "Given the time of the incident, the young woman was awake and alert and smelled the smoke, but had it have happened later in the evening, she might not have been so fortunate.
"We would like to repeat our calls to people to have smoke alarms fitted, particularly in the run up to Christmas, and also to test them regularly."
Don't miss out, subscribe today. Keep up to date with our newsletters.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating! PLUS, register for free!.
Find out what's going on in the garden, with Kent expert Lucy Hewett's weekly update.
Buy pictures that you've seen in a KM newspaper, or send in a picture and we will place it on our photo sales website so that you can purchase a super, unique gift.