Share

Broken cloud

Wed

13°C | 8°C

Cloudy

Thu

15°C | 12°C

Light rain

Fri

16°C | 7°C

Home   Canterbury   News   Article

Joinery in Bishopsbourne near Canterbury destroyed in fire as exploding asbestos in the roof threatened neighbouring home

14 June 2014
by Lowri Stafford

A joinery was completely destroyed in a fire in the early hours of this morning.

Firefighters battled to douse the blaze and stop exploding asbestos in the roof from igniting a nearby house.

The 15 x 4m workshop in Bishopsbourne near Canterbury, which was used to store wood, went up in flames just before 5am.

Crews from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

Crews from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

The intense heat caused asbestos in the roof to explode - threatening nearby buildings.

Four crews rushed to Crows Camp Road after a neighbour woke up to banging sounds and raised the alarm.

Crew manager Trevor Cox said: "The woman was woken up by the sound of exploding asbestos.

"By the time we got there, the whole workshop was completely engulfed in flames.

"As we fought the fire, we poured water on the surrounding buildings and a car to stop them catching alight.

"It was quite lucky it was calm and there was no wind to carry the pieces of flaming asbestos."

Mr Cox said it is not yet known what caused the fire.

Click here for more news from Canterbury.

Click here for more news from around the county.

Comments 

Forgotten Password?

Forgotten Username?

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.