Published: 14:00, 17 July 2014 |
Updated: 14:54, 17 July 2014
A puppy was rescued from a smoke-filled house this morning after its owner sparked a blaze by leaving the cooker hob on.
The dog was pulled to safety by fire crews after a neighbour in Oxford Road, Canterbury, heard the smoke alarm and called 999.
The owner of the puppy had left the house in a rush to deal with an alarm sounding at work – but forgot to turn the oven off.
Two fire engines were sent to the address shortly after 10.30am.
Crews in breathing apparatus rescued the puppy from the kitchen before clearing the smoke with a ventilation fan.
Canterbury watch manager Alison Aldridge said: “The homeowner had been cooking food for the puppy when she received a call from work that an alarm was sounding.
“She rushed off to investigate, forgetting to turn the pan off before she left her home.
“This was a really unfortunate accident but shows a moment’s distraction can lead to a fire in your home.
“If you’ve got to leave the room turn the cooker off and have working smoke alarms on every floor of your home.”
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating! PLUS, register for free!.
Find out what's going on in the garden, with Kent expert Lucy Hewett's weekly update.
Buy pictures that you've seen in a KM newspaper, or send in a picture and we will place it on our photo sales website so that you can purchase a super, unique gift.