Home   Dartford   Sport   Article

Charlton 4 Northampton 1 match report

By Matthew Panting

Two goals in stoppage time capped a dominant Charlton display against Northampton on Saturday.

The Addicks never looked back after taking a second minute lead against former Gillingham manager Justin Edinburgh's side.

But they needed two late goals from Jake Forster-Caskey to round off an excellent performance at The Valley.

Josh Magennis wheels away after putting Charlton ahead. Picture: Keith Gillard
Josh Magennis wheels away after putting Charlton ahead. Picture: Keith Gillard

Charlton named an unchanged team from the 2-0 defeat at Plymouth seven days earlier.

It was the perfect start for the Addicks as Ricky Holmes crossed from the left and Josh Magennis got ahead of his marker to direct a header beyond keeper David Cornell.

Northampton, who lost Chris Long to injury in the warm-up, replaced wing-back Aaron Phillips inside 13 minutes after he picked up an early knock.

Twice in a minute, defender Ash Taylor went close for Northampton as the visitors threatened to use their considerable height advantage to some use.

Instead, though, it was Charlton who produced the better football. Holmes and the intelligent Billy Clarke linked up to good effect while Ahmed Kashi again looked a class act in the centre of midfield.

Magennis headed over a left-wing corner when left unmarked and then Holmes' clever pass set up Tariqe Fosu, who dragged an effort wide of the far post.

Northampton's Billy Waters was well denied by Charlton keeper Ben Amos just before the break.

The second half was a more open affair with Northampton showing much more attacking intent.

Aaron Pierre collected an early booking for a foul on Fosu, before Magennis volleyed over from close range after keeper Cornell beat away Fosu's curler.

Billy Waters became an increasing threat for the visitors but it was Holmes and Clarke who ran the show for Charlton.

The pair combined for the second on 61 minutes, exchanging passes to leave Matt Crooks a mere spectator before Holmes brilliantly fired beyond Cornell.

Charlton celebrate Ricky Holmes' goal. Picture: Keith Gillard
Charlton celebrate Ricky Holmes' goal. Picture: Keith Gillard

Clarke then took advantage of more poor Northampton defending, robbing Taylor after a failed tackle, only for Magennis to turn down the opportunity to shoot when well placed inside the area.

Left-back Jay Dasilva nearly added a third when he ran from the halfway line to the edge of the box, but his shot went well over the bar with 13 minutes left.

The game came to life two minutes later when Marc Richards headed in after a deep cross was nodded back across goal to cut Charlton's lead in half. Suddenly a game that Charlton were bossing became rather anxious.

A penalty appeal for the Addicks was turned down by referee Kevin Johnson late on after Cornell challenged with substitue Ezri Konsa.

Two goals in stoppage time then added the icing on the cake. Konsa crossed for Forster-Caskey to convert the third from close range in the 94th minute.

Then, with seven minutes of stoppage time played, Forster-Caskey fired in a stunning 20-yard goal to make it 4-1.

Northampton, who looked a poor outfit from the first whistle, did not know what had hit them.

Charlton: Amos, Solly, Bauer, Pearce, Dasilva, Kashi, Forster-Caskey, Fosu (Ahearne-Grant 74mins), Holmes (Konsa 83mins), Clarke (Jackson 90mins), Magennis. Subs not used: Phillips, Sarr, Aribo, Hackett-Fairchild.

Northampton: Cornell, Buchanan, Kasim (Grimes 57mins), Barnett, Taylor, Waters, Richards, Revell, Pierre (Powell 74mins), Phillips (Moloney 13mins), Crooks. Subs not used: Coddington, McWilliams, Iaciofano, Poole.

Attendance: 11,289 (881 away).

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More