The UK's fastest-growing regional news network
17°C | 9°C
18°C | 8°C
16°C | 9°C
See the full forecast for your area.
Sponsored by Britelite.
Home Dartford Sport Article
Midfielder Diego Poyet is leaving Charlton Athletic.
The 19-year-old has told the Championship club he will not report for pre-season training, having turned down the offer of a new contract at The Valley.
Poyet had been offered an improved deal by the Addicks, who say they will now look to ensure they receive "the best possible amount of compensation from whichever team Poyet chooses to join next to recognise the time and effort spent honing the player’s skills during his time with the academy."
Charlton director Katrien Meire said: "We are extremely disappointed that Diego has turned down our offer for him to stay with us.
"We did all we could to persuade him to remain with the club where he has played from a very young age.
"Along with our fans, I enjoyed watching his progression last season and hoped we would continue to enjoy his development at The Valley for a while longer.
"Although disappointed, we will continue with our recruitment strategy for the 2014-15 season and do everything we can to ensure the Charlton squad is as strong as possible going into the match at Brentford on August 9."
Poyet made 23 appearances for Charlton and was voted their player-of-the-year in 2013-14.
Thanks to @CAFCofficial for the great 8 years.A lot of memories with very close friends over the period of time. Wish the club all the best!— Diego Poyet (@diegopoyet7) June 25, 2014
Click here for more sport from Dartford.
Click here for more news from around the county.