Home   Dartford   Sport   Article

Welling 0 Dartford 0 match report

By Matthew Panting

A brilliant late save from Dartford keeper Deren Ibrahim ensured a goalless draw at Park View Road on Tuesday night.

Ibrahim produced a stunning one-handed stop to turn behind Michael Thalassitis' effort three minutes into injury time for Welling.

In the end, it was a point apiece as neither side could find a breakthrough in a keenly-contested derby.

Dartford's Alex Brown wins the ball against Welling's Jamie Slabber. Picture: Keith Gillard

Welling ditched their defensive one-up formation from the weekend defeat to Wealdstone and fielded Jamie Slabber alongside new signing Thalassitis in a 4-4-2 system.

The hosts dominated early on with winger Rhys Murrell-Williamson testing keeper Deren Ibrahim at the near post. Ibrahim was called into action again on 13 minutes, turning behind Thalassitis' header after a Danny Waldren free-kick.

Ali Fuseini's long-range drive was kept out before Slabber's goalbound header was hacked clear by Alex Brown.

Darts never really got their passes going in the early stages and were guilty of giving away some soft free-kicks.

Referee Ian Fissenden - who didn't get a lot wrong - booked players from both sides as tempers flared on and off the pitch before Dart finished strongly.

Welling's Sean Francis is unable to connect under pressure from Tom Bonner. Picture: Keith Gillard

Luke Wanadio ran at Matt Fish down the left wing and cut inside before keeper Chris Lewington turned his 20-yard shot wide for a corner at the near post.

Welling had the first chance of he second half as Slabber showed great feet in the box to create an opening before stabbing his low effort well wide.

Dartford had a golden chance to take the lead on 61 minutes as Matt Fish twice failed to clear his lines. The ball finally fell to Tom Murphy but Lewington made a fantastic save to turn his left-foot shot wide for a corner.

Dartford's Tom Murphy is denied by Welling keeper Chris Lewington in the second half. Picture: Keith Gillard

Ibrahim made a superb save of his own on 65 minutes, turning behind Waldren's long-range effort.

Welling nearly edged ahead eight minutes later when Thalassitis forced an error from the Darts defence and the ball fell nicely for substitute Alex Cathline, who fired wide from inside the area.

The game continued to flow in the closing stages as both sides introduced fresh legs. The willing Ben Francis stretched Welling's defence while Cathline and Thalassitis continued to press at the other end.

Welling: Lewington, Fish, Brown, Fuseini, Hayles, Francis, Karagiannis (Walker 76mins), Waldren, Slabber (Cathline 63mins), Thalassitis, Murrell-Williamson (Crawford 69mins). Subs not used: Leacock, Richards.

Dartford: Ibrahim, Wood, Wynter, Bonner, Vint, Brown, Hayes (Noble 68mins), Bradbrook, Murphy (Ofori-Acheampong 68mins), Pugh, Wanadio (Francis 82mins). Subs not used: Seixas, Coxall.

Attendance: 909.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More