Published: 00:00, 16 July 2014
| Updated: 10:03, 16 July 2014
Nine of the controversial beach huts on Walmer seafront were removed on Saturday.
The district council agreed to move some of the beach huts after residents protested against the cluttered layout.
On Saturday morning they were moved to a temporary storage area, and the council will now decide where they will go.
The move comes after many people have spoken out over the ‘cluttered’ appearance of the ‘eyesore’ beach huts.
Joanna Thomson, who runs the Coast House bed and breakfast, organised a petition for more huts to be removed, which has gained 518 signatures.
On Friday she handed this to Dover District Council (DDC) chief executive Nadeem Aziz.
She said: “Moving nine huts just before the Royal Marines concert was a good move, but public opinion is that it was a gesture, not a result.
“The whole issue of whether there should be huts there at all comes into question. If there must, their density and design must be in keeping with the environment of a working or ex-working beach.
“We just feel DDC hasn’t consulted the local community at all on this project. A public consultation would be the way ahead, which has clearly been ignored thus far.”
Mrs Thomson said DDC building control manager Martin Leggatt had been very helpful and had answered every complaint individually.
The campaign will continue next week with a site meeting held on Monday with Mr Leggatt.
It is hoped the meeting will result in another four huts being removed.
Campaigners also hope the rest of the huts will be spaced out along the seafront so that they are not too close to the Downs Sailing Club and each has a sea view.
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.