Sunny spells


9°C | 8°C



13°C | 8°C

Light rain


13°C | 12°C

Home   Deal   News   Article

Firefighters praise woman's actions in Telegraph Chippie fire in Deal

04 September 2014
by Eleanor Perkins

Firefighters have commended the quick actions of a woman working in The Telegraph Chippie, when a deep fat fryer caught alight, today.

Firefighters were called to a chip shop fire in Telegraph Road, Deal at 11.30am.

Two fire engines attended, using breathing apparatus and a hose reel jet to tackle the fire on the ground floor.

Library image

Library image

A positive pressure ventilation fan was used to clear smoke from the property.

Firefighters extinguished the fire within five minutes but remained at the scene for half an hour.

Crew manager Paul Evans said: “One of the deep fat fryers had caught alight. It had overheated and ignited.

“The lady inside was quick minded. She isolated all of the gas and got herself out, then called the fire service. She handled it very well.”

Mr Evans added: “There is heat and smoke damage. I should think it will be closed for a few days.”

The shop is owned by Jasin Kaplan, who also owns Jasin’s Restaurant on The Pier.

The woman, described to be in her mid-twenties, was alone in the shop. She was not hurt.


Click here for more news from Deal.

Click here for more news from around the county.