Share

Clear spells

Fri

20°C | 14°C

Clear spells

Sat

20°C | 11°C

Mostly clear

Sun

22°C | 11°C

Home   Deal   News   Article

Firefighters tackle fire in ancient barn in Kingsdown

15 July 2014
by Eleanor Perkins

Flames were engulfing a barn just feet away... but that didn't stop parish councillors conducting their business.

Firefighters tackled this raging fire as it took hold at a barn in Kingsdown last night.

But as most of the village was left without electricity, parish councillors didn't let that interfere with their meeting.

Community warden Malcolm Wells directing the traffic in Upper Street while the barn is alight

Community warden Malcolm Wells directing the traffic in Upper Street while the barn is alight

The barn is seen well alight

The barn is seen well alight

They lit the village hall - almost opposite the blaze - with the lights from mobile phones and emergency lighting.

Meanwhile, most of the rest of the village was without power for several hours.

Three engines were called out at 7.20pm last night, working for four hours to put out the flames.

The fire in the old outbuilding on the corner of Upper Street and The Rise is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault. 

Watch Manager Malcolm Cowie said: “The barn was very close to the next property and another barn and we managed to stop it spreading.”

The owners are believed to be an elderly couple who were on holiday in France. Their daughter was at the scene.

Meanwhile, community warden Malcolm Wells helped direct traffic in Upper Street. 

 


 Stories you might have missed

Nurse 'wanted to murder girl, 14, with axe and eat her'

Man hunted over sex attack

Disabled woman's walking frame stolen in 'revolting' attack

Some-fin to tell your mates - the £1m fish that DIDN'T get away


 

Click here for more news from Deal.

Click here for more news from around the county.

Comments 

Forgotten Password?

Forgotten Username?

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.