Published: 00:00, 15 July 2014 |
Updated: 15:14, 15 July 2014
Flames were engulfing a barn just feet away... but that didn't stop parish councillors conducting their business.
Firefighters tackled this raging fire as it took hold at a barn in Kingsdown last night.
But as most of the village was left without electricity, parish councillors didn't let that interfere with their meeting.
They lit the village hall - almost opposite the blaze - with the lights from mobile phones and emergency lighting.
Meanwhile, most of the rest of the village was without power for several hours.
Three engines were called out at 7.20pm last night, working for four hours to put out the flames.
The fire in the old outbuilding on the corner of Upper Street and The Rise is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.
Watch Manager Malcolm Cowie said: “The barn was very close to the next property and another barn and we managed to stop it spreading.”
The owners are believed to be an elderly couple who were on holiday in France. Their daughter was at the scene.
Meanwhile, community warden Malcolm Wells helped direct traffic in Upper Street.
Stories you might have missed
Don't miss out, subscribe today. Keep up to date with our newsletters.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating! PLUS, register for free!.
Find out what's going on in the garden, with Kent expert Lucy Hewett's weekly update.
Buy pictures that you've seen in a KM newspaper, or send in a picture and we will place it on our photo sales website so that you can purchase a super, unique gift.