The UK's fastest-growing regional news network
8°C | 3°C
8°C | -2°C
8°C | -1°C
See the full forecast for your area.
Sponsored by Britelite.
Home Deal News Article
The latest statistics, published by Trussell Trust, who runs foodbanks throughout the country, shows that more and more people are relying on vouchers and food parcels than ever before.
Alan Thompson, chairman of the Deal Area Emergency Foodbank said: “The figures are horrific but not a surprise and 40% are under 16 – must be a terrific start to the school day for lots of kids without breakfast.”
Over a 12-month period from April 1 last year to March 31 this year, the foodbank provided 91,974 people in crisis across the South East. This is compared to 44,951 from the year before.
In Kent as a whole, 8,586 adults and 5,492 received emergency food.
“The figures are horrific but not a surprise." - Alan Thompson.
Chris Mould, the Trussell Trust’s chairman, said: “This is shocking in 21st century Britain. But perhaps most worrying of all is this figure is just the tip of the iceberg of UK food poverty. It doesn’t include those helped by other emergency food providers, those living in towns where there is no foodbank, people who are too ashamed to seek help or the large number of people who are only just coping by eating less and buying cheap food.
“Unless there is determined policy action to ensure the benefits of economic recovery reach people on low-incomes we won’t see life get better anytime soon.”
Click here for more news from Deal.
Click here for more news from around the county.