Published: 11:15, 06 December 2017 |
Updated: 15:53, 06 December 2017
Plans to build more than 600 homes on a beauty spot have been quashed by the Supreme Court.
The court today agreed with an earlier Appeal Court decision not to build on Farthingloe Valley near Dover.
The case had been brought by Dover District Council in October , with developers China Gateway International, after the Appeal Court last year ruled against its decision to grant planning permission.
The Supreme Court also ruled that the council’s planning committee did not give legally adequate reasons for planning permission on the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
It believed that the scheme would cause significant harm in a protected landscape.
This announcement comes after DDC took the case to the Supreme Court in October but was challenged by CPRE (Council for the Protection of Rural England) Kent.
CPRE Kent Director Hilary Newport said: “This is the best possible news. We have been absolutely determined to save this beautiful and iconic area of countryside.
“Such significant harm to the AONB cannot be justified purely for economic benefit. This case is not just important to the people of Dover but for the principles of planning law.
“AONBs merit the highest possible level of protection. This judgment confirms that not only was the decision flawed, but so was the planning committee’s decision-making process.”
The campaign group had won its case in the Court of Appeal in September 2016 to stop the development.
When the scheme first went before the council, officers had recommended just 375 homes and wanted less density.
Deeply disappointed by Supreme Court ruling. The CPRE are determined to do all they can to stop the homes we need getting built. We must put the future of our young people ahead of these out-of-touch campaign groups https://t.co/f3Nxjq1h9x— Charlie Elphicke (@CharlieElphicke) December 6, 2017
But the planning committee disagreed and granted permission for the 600-plus homes.
The application was specifically for 521 homes and a 90-apartment retirement village.
Kristina Kenworthy of CPRE Kent’s solicitors Richard Buxton Environmental and Public Law said: “This decision brings much needed clarity to the need for public authorities to give reasons for their decisions.
“The Supreme Court has confirmed that planning is not a special case.
"The need for transparency and scrutiny means that people are entitled to know what has been decided and why, and if necessary enable effective recourse to the courts.
"This decision should lead to more rigour, better planning – and less argument.”
CPRE Kent chairman Christine Drury said: “We will never give up on our countryside.
"This was a really bad proposal, which the planning officer tried hard to improve and it should never have received permission.
"I would like to thank our legal team, our volunteers, our members and everyone who support us in protecting our countryside.”
But Dover MP Charlie Elphicke reacted to the news with dismay.
He said: “I am deeply disappointed by the decision of the Supreme Court.
“Everyone knows we need more housing. Yet out-of-touch campaign groups like the CPRE are determined to do all they can to stop the homes we need getting built.
“The CPRE should listen to the young people of Dover, who desperately want new homes and stop undermining their hopes and aspirations of a better future.
“Everyone wants more investment in Dover.
"This project would have brought investment for what could be an outstanding tourist attraction at the Drop Redoubt and Western Heights, creating more jobs.
“We must put the future of our young people ahead of unelected, anti-democratic campaign groups.”
Richard Knox-Johnston, chairman of CPRE Kent, countered: "CPRE is very much aware that we need housing especially for young people and first time buyers but the development should be in the right places and of the right sort of housing.
A Dover District Council spokesman said: “This is a lengthy and complex judgment and we are currently considering its implications.
“The judgment affirms the decision of the Court of Appeal (14 September 2016) and the planning permission remains quashed.
“Notwithstanding the decision of the Supreme Court, the underlying planning application remains live.
"Notwithstanding the decision of the Supreme Court, the underlying planning application remains live..." - Dover District Council
"The application, or an amended version of it, could be considered again by Dover District Council’s planning committee.
“The council will discuss the redetermination of the application with the applicant.”
Today's ruling was the final legal step from the time CPRE Kent first took this to the High Court in December 2015.
It brought a claim for judicial review of the planning decision on several grounds, including that the planning committee had not provided adequate reasons for its decision.
The claim was dismissed at the High Court in the first instance but allowed to go to the Court of Appeal.
It was the decision of the Court of Appeal in September 2016,which was appealed to the Supreme Court by Dover District Council and CGI Ltd.
Today's Supreme Court ruling was made unanimously by Lord Carnwath, Lady Hale, Lord Wilson, Lady Black and Lord Lloyd-Jones.
Their judgement said: “This is a case where the defect in reasons goes to the heart of the justification for permission and undermines its validity.
“The only appropriate remedy is to quash the permission.”
Rob Prince, spokesman for developer China Gateway International, which jointly brought the case to the Supreme Court with the district council, said: "We are obviously sad to learn of the Supreme Court judgement announced today.
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.
Your No1 guide to getting married in Kent. From dresses to discos and venues to veils, we've got everything you could possibly need for your big day
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating!
PLUS, register for free!.
Read our pick of the best holiday destinations. Whether its a weekend break, or something a little bit longer, we have reviewed a wide range of holidays.