Published: 19:00, 10 February 2017 |
Updated: 20:14, 10 February 2017
Firefighters were called after a chimney caught fire in a house this afternoon.
Crews were called to the blaze in Badlesmere near Faversham shortly after 4.30pm.
It has prompted the fire service to issue advice to homeowners about how to prevent chimney fires.
One fire engine was sent to the incident which is believed to have been caused by a large build-up of soot in the chimney.
Firefighters used specialist equipment to extinguish the fire after racing to the scene.
Faversham crew manager Dan Wooller said: "As the cold weather continues, many residents are using open fires and wood burning stoves to heat their homes.
"Please make sure you get your chimney regularly swept, inspected and well maintained by a professional chimney sweep."
He said this would help to reduce the risk of a fire breaking out due to soot or ash building up in the chimney, heat spread from damaged chimney breasts or badly fitted wood burning stoves.
Mr Wooller added: "I’d also recommend that residents sign up to our clean sweep alert, to receive a free reminder to have your chimney swept."
For more safety advice visit www.kent.fire-uk.org/news/campaigns/clean-sweep-alert or call 0800 923 7000 or email email@example.com
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.
Your No1 guide to getting married in Kent. From dresses to discos and venues to veils, we've got everything you could possibly need for your big day
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
We have four editions of our Kent Homes, Gardens and Interiors magazine for you to read. Click here to view them all.