Share

Sunny spells

Tue

19°C | 10°C

Sunny spells

Wed

19°C | 9°C

Sunny spells

Thu

19°C | 8°C

Home   Folkestone   News   Article

Highland cattle released on a 20-acre trial grazing site at The Warren, on the outskirts of Folkestone

26 April 2014
by KentOnline reporter
Cows are back grazing again at the Folkestone Warren after a break of 90 years.
 
Five steers of Highland Cattle were released into a 20-acre trial grazing area at the seafront location on Friday.
 
The cattle are owned by local farmer Stuart Gammon of Acrise and were previously grazing at Folkestone Downs.
 

 
Grazing ceased at Folkestone Warren in 1924 when landowner Lord Radnor gave the land to the Corporation of Folkestone.
 
But grazing is vital to preserve the wildlife and landscape of chalk grassland. Without it shrubs and trees take over.
 
Cows on The Warren pre 1924 - picture courtesy of Alan Taylor

Cows on The Warren pre 1924 - picture courtesy of Alan Taylor

 
Since cattle stopped grazing on the Warren it has changed from an open grassy landscape to scrub and woodland, reducing the rare wildlife such as wild flowers and orchids and invertebrates such as butterflies and moths.
 
You can see how the cattle are getting on when the White Cliffs Countryside Partnership leads a guided walk around the site on Sunday, May 18, starting at 2pm from outside The Pavilion (Sandbanks), Wear Bay Road, Folkestone.
 
 

Click here for more news from Folkestone.

Click here for more news from around the county.