Home   Hythe   News   Article

Hythe: Unattended e-cigarette charger sparks blaze in Bartholomew Street

By Folkestone & Hythe Express

An unattended e-cigarette charger sparked a fire at a house in Hythe.

Crews raced to the two-storey property in Bartholomew Street just after 6.30pm yesterday.

They cleared smoke and fumes from the home following the blaze in a first floor bedroom.

An e-cigarette charger sparked the blaze. Stock pic

An e-cigarette charger sparked the blaze. Stock pic

Firefighters urged others to take extra care when charging e-cigarettes.

They advised: 

  • Only use the charger supplied with your e-cigarette
  • If no charger is supplied check with the manufacturer for a list of approved chargers
  • Read the instructions on how to clean the battery centre pin and charger contact
  • Stop charging once it has been fully charged
  • Don’t leave it charging overnight, unattended or charging on flammable surfaces such as a bed or sofa
  • Don’t over-tighten the battery – especially when charging
  • Make sure you have working smoke alarms on every floor of your home and test them regularly.

Firefighters left the scene just after 7pm. 

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More