The UK's fastest growing regional news website
°C | 6°C
18°C | 6°C
19°C | 10°C
See the full forecast for your area.
Sponsored by Britelite.
Home Kent News Article
A man who told border officials at Dover three times he had a bomb in his bag is now behind bars.
Carwyn Rees, 45, of Richmond Road, Roath, was on board a coach bound for Amsterdam at around 10pm on September 22 this year when it arrived at Dover's Eastern Docks.
Rees approached a UK Border Force officer and claimed to have a bomb in his bag.
When warned about the seriousness of the allegation he repeated it TWICE more.
Officers searched Rees's rucksack, and the coach he was travelling on. They found nothing - and no traces of explosives on Rees.
After a big delay the coach was allowed to continue... but without Rees, who was arrested by Kent police on suspicion of making a bomb hoax.
Rees was jailed for six months at Cardiff and Vale of Glamorgan magistrates’ court after pleading guilty to the charge.
Frontier Crime Unit Detective Constable, Matthew Whitlock, said:
“This was a very serious crime that had the potential to cause
great alarm and distress to many people.
“By the time the offender admitted he was “messing around” the damage had been done.
"We took action to ensure the safety of passengers and staff at
the docks and the subsequent searches meant a long delay for those
who were continuing their journey.
“We live with the threat of terrorism every day in this country so when someone claims to have a bomb it is not a trivial matter."
He said the penalty should act as a warning to others that "bomb hoaxes are not merely pranks."
Rees now had a criminal record, he said, which would make it more difficult for him to get or hold a job and get a visa to travel.
Click here for more news from Kent.
Click here for more news from around the county.