Published: 13:00, 16 May 2014 |
Updated: 14:01, 16 May 2014
One of four men accused of killing Italian waiter Joele Leotta claimed he knew nothing about the attack, a court heard yesterday.
Aleksandras Zuravliovas told police he went to flats at Lower Stone Street in Maidstone to see a friend and ended up being struck on the head.
When asked if he assaulted Mr Leotta, the 27-year-old Lithuanian gave a prepared statement the day after Mr Leotta was fatally injured in an alleged group attack at his bedsit above Vesuvious restaurant in Lower Stone Street on October 20 last year.
It read: “Last night I cannot recall much. I attended Lower Stone Street and the next thing I know I received a heavy blow to my head and was rendered unconscious.”
Zuravliovas’ solicitor advised him to exercise his right to silence and say “no comment”, but he continued to answer questions.
He said he popped into the building to see his friend Lucas and was hit as he left to go home to his girlfriend by 8pm.
“I remember it was some sort of conflict, but I don’t understand,” he continued. “I was drunk. I heard something like ‘Italia, Italia’ from the second floor I think.
“I think I replied: ‘What Italia?’ Somebody opened the door and hit me on the head with a stick. I don’t remember this moment clearly.”
Maidstone Crown Court has heard Mr Leotta, 20, suffered 100 injuries in what the prosecution described as “a senseless attack of brutal, drunken violence”.
Zuravliovas, of Beaumont Road, Tomas Gelezinis, 31, of Lower Stone Street, Saulius Tamoliunas, 24, of Union Street, and Linas Zidonis, 21, of no fixed address, all deny murdering Mr Leotta and wounding his friend Alex Galbiati, 20, with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
Prosecutor Philippa McAtasney QC said both men were “punched, kicked and hit with whatever came to hand”, including a metal pole, a mop handle and a broom at their room above the Italian restaurant where they worked as waiters.
Earlier this month, the court heard how officers battled to revive Mr Leotta as he lay in a "pool of blood" following the attack.
Mr Galbiati, who grew up with Mr Leotta in Lecco, Italy, also told the court how his friend was "thrown in the air" during the attack.
Mr Leotta and Mr Galbiati had arrived in the UK six days before Mr Leotta’s death and started a 13-week trial period at the family-run restaurant.
The prosecution claims the four defendants attacked the Italians because they believed the friends were responsible for a complaint about noise.
A grievance was lodged with the building's landlord the day before the incident, about loud music coming from the upper floors, where one of the defendants, Tomas Gelezinis, lived.
Philippa McAtasney QC previously told the court neither Alex Galbiati or Joele Leotta had complained.
The trial continues.
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.
Your No1 guide to getting married in Kent. From dresses to discos and venues to veils, we've got everything you could possibly need for your big day
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
We have four editions of our Kent Homes, Gardens and Interiors magazine for you to read. Click here to view them all.