Home   Maidstone   News   Article

Italian waiter Joele Leotta died after 'repeated blows' during attack above Maidstone restaurant in Lower Stone Street, court told

A jury has heard details of all 100 injuries Italian waiter Joele Leotta suffered in a fatal attack at his Maidstone flat.

Despite the large amount of bruises and cuts from "multiple blunt impacts", the 20-year-old victim had no fractures to his body, said consultant pathologist Dr Peter Jerreat.

He died from severe head injuries with bleeding to the brain as a result of repeated blows, which could have included kicks.

Joele Leotta was a waiter at an Italian restaurant in Maidstone

"Though the brain is a jelly and can be capable of movement, it is no problem for people to go on fast rides at Thorpe Park etc and play rugby and get knocked all over the place," said Dr Jerreat.

"For the brain to get damaged there must be a severe degree of force. Basically, the brain has been rocking to and fro inside the head because of blows to the head."

Maidstone Crown Court has heard 6ft 2ins tall Mr Leotta faced a group assault at his bedsit above Vesuvius restaurant in Lower Stone Street on October 20 last year.

The prosecution described it as "a senseless attack of brutal, drunken violence".

Dr Jerreat said there was extensive bruising both externally and internally. There was "multiple blunt impact".

The pathologist said Mr Leotta had used cannabis some time before his death.

Flowers left outside the Vesuvius Restaurant where Joele Leotta was fatally injured

Lithuanians Alexsandras Zuravliovas, 27, of Beaumont Road, Tomas Gelezinis, 31, of Lower Stone Street, Saulius Tamoliunas, 24, of Union Street, and Linas Zidonis, 21, of no fixed address, all deny murdering Mr Leotta and wounding his friend Alex Galbiati, 20, with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Prosecutor Philippa McAtasney QC said both men were "punched, kicked and hit with whatever came to hand", including a metal pole, a mop handle and a broom.

The pair had arrived in the UK six days before Mr Leotta's death and started a 13-week trial period at the family-run restaurant.

The trial continues.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More