Share

Clear spells

Thu

19°C | 12°C

Sunny

Fri

20°C | 13°C

Sunny spells

Sat

18°C | 11°C

Home   Maidstone   News   Article

A candle left burning is what caused a small bedroom fire in Cherry Orchard Way, Maidstone, today

25 June 2014
by Angela Cole

 

Firefighters have issued a warning after an unattended candle caused a small fire in a bedroom in Maidstone today.
 
Smoke was spotted coming from the upstairs window in Cherry Orchard Way at around 10am by a neighbour.
 
Kent Fire and Rescue Service

Kent Fire and Rescue Service

The small blaze, which damaged the carpet and a part of the wall, was extinguished before crews reached the scene, but a smoke alarm in the house was not working.
 
Maidstone watch manager Chris Puxted said: “This incident could have been so much worse it the neighbour hadn’t noticed the smoke. Unfortunately, the smoke alarm upstairs was not working. Without the early warning, the fire could have developed into a potentially life-threatening incident.
 
“I would like to remind resident to check that their smoke alarms are working. I would also urge people to take extra care with candles, ensure they are placed on a heatproof surface and to avoid leaving them unattended.”
 
Crews gave the residents fire safety advice and replaced the smoke alarms in the house.
 

Click here for more news from Maidstone.

Click here for more news from around the county.

Comments 

Forgotten Password?

Forgotten Username?

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.