Home   Maidstone   Sport   Article

Maidstone United 1 Aldershot Town 1 match report

By Craig Tucker

Josh Hare scored a dramatic 95th-minute equaliser for Maidstone against National League pace-setters Aldershot.

He rose to head home a Jai Reason cross to end Aldershot's 100% start to the season after a high-class game at the Gallagher.

It was keeper Lee Worgan, who'd had a brilliant night between the sticks, who came up for a corner and fed Reason.

Delano Sam-Yorke gets at the Aldershot defence Picture: Andy Payton

Both sides had carved out superb chances in what was looking like going down as one of the most eventful goalless draws you’ll see.

But substitute Jake Gallagher gave Aldershot the lead in the 76th minute, shortly after coming on.

It looked like United were heading for a third straight defeat but Hare changed all that.

Jack Paxman goes up against former Maidstone team-mate Bobby-Joe Taylor Picture: Andy Payton

United remain without a win but if they keep playing like this, victories are surely just round the corner.

There were big chances at both ends in an excellent first half that somehow finished goalless.

For United, the best fell to Delano Sam-Yorke two yards out from a Reason cross but the big man didn’t put enough on the ball and keeper Jake Cole was able to block.

Earlier, Joe Pigott robbed Callum Reynolds just inside the Shots half and burst clear but Cheye Alexander got back to snuff out the chance and seconds later the ball dropped to Reason in space but it took him by surprise and he missed the target.

Chance goes begging for Delano Sam-Yorke Picture: Andy Payton

At the other end, Maidstone keeper Lee Worgan made three superb saves.

The first saw him sharply off his line to dive at the feet of Matt McClure, who looked certain to score.

He did even better to keep out McClure’s bullet header from Shamir Fenelon’s cross, readjusting his body brilliantly, and that was followed by another flying save to tip over James Rowe’s first-time cracker from 20 yards.

Bobby-Joe Taylor, on his return to the Gallagher, flashed an effort inches wide from 25 yards and at the end of the half crossed for dangerman Rowe whose diving header at the near post went across goal.

Early in the second half, Taylor had a shot blocked by Josh Hare, then Worgan saved well from McClure in a fast start.

Joe Pigott keeps Aldershot captain Callum Reynolds at bay Picture: Andy Payton

Pigott’s 20-yard free-kick, following a foul on Reason, forced a decent tip-over from Cole at the other end as the North Stand made themselves heard.

The pace continued with Jim Kellermann hitting the bar on the turn for Aldershot midway through the half.

Another golden opportunity then fell to Sam-Yorke who was somehow denied at point-blank range by Cole after meeting Pigott’s cut-back at the near post.

Maidstone would pay for the latest miss when Gallagher put Aldershot in front in the the 76th minute.

He’d only been on the pitch three minutes when he timed his run to perfection to take a pass and finish low into the corner.

Sam-Yorke sent an injury-time chance into the stand for the Stones, followed by the late drama.

Maidstone: Worgan, Hare, Anderson, Okuonghae, Wynter, Reason, Prestedge, Paxman (Phipps 81mins), Sam-Yorke, Pigott, Wraight (Richards 78mins). Subs not used: Twumasi, Willard, Taylor.

Attendance: 2,524 (367 Aldershot fans).

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More