Home   Maidstone   Sport   Article

Maidstone United 3 Woking 1 match report

By Craig Tucker

Delano Sam-Yorke scored his first goal of the season as Maidstone beat his old club Woking.

Sam-Yorke, after eight games without a goal, added to Zavon Hines’ first-half opener at the Gallagher.

Joe Ward replied for Woking but Joe Pigott made sure of the points as the Stones claimed their third National League win of the campaign.

Maidstone celebrate Zavon Hines' opener Picture: Andy Jones
Maidstone celebrate Zavon Hines' opener Picture: Andy Jones

Maidstone handed Johan ter Horst his first start in an attacking line-up.

They opened well, Hines’ strike parried by Nathan Baxter in the first minute, Sam-Yorke firing over and Josh Hare heading over from a corner.

But a good spell for Woking around the 15-minute mark saw Josh Staunton’s header blocked on the line by Joe Anderson, who also cleared the danger when Jason Banton’s effort crept on to the post.

Stuart Lewis was his usual busy self, starting a nice move that ended in Pigott heading over Hare’s cross.

At the other end, Magnus Okuonghae did well to snuff out a dangerous break after dangerman Ward turned away from Reece Prestedge.

The opener came in the 34th minute.

Prestedge, impressive on his return to the side, started another good move, taking the ball into space before finding Hines whose pass to ter Horst led to a chance for Pigott.

The Stones striker’s shot was blocked with the ball eventually falling to Hines about 12 yards out who thumped home down the middle of the goal.

Delano Sam-Yorke takes the game to Woking Picture: Andy Jones
Delano Sam-Yorke takes the game to Woking Picture: Andy Jones

Lee Worgan was tested towards the end of the half, down well to deny Banton after the Cards man played a neat one-two but Maidstone finished the half on the attack with ter Horst cutting in from the left and clipping the post, with Pigott’s follow-up blocked.

Maidstone’s second goal, in the 67th minute, owed much to the industry of Lewis.

He carried the ball from deep inside his own half into Woking territory before finding substitute Jai Reason whose pass was fired home first-time into the far corner by Sam-Yorke from outside the box.

It was a lovely finish with his left foot and Sam-Yorke’s celebration said it all as the former Woking man broke his duck for the season.

Woking were back in the game five minutes later, Ward on target after a cross from substitute Jamie Philpot wasn’t cleared.

But Maidstone had their third in the 77th minute, Hines showing a turn of pace to cut out a clearance before squaring for Pigott, who took a touch and finished nicely.

Prestedge forced a good save from Baxter when given time and space to shoot from a Lewis lay-off as Maidstone went close to fourth, then Sam-Yorke threatened from a Hines pull-back.

Maidstone: Worgan, Hare, Prestedge, Wynter, Okuonghae, Lewis, Sam-Yorke, Anderson, ter Horst (Reason 59mins), Hines (Richards 85mins), Pigott (Paxman 81mins). Subs not used: Finney, Twumasi.

Attendance: 2,527.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More