Home   Malling   News   Article

‘Horse-whisperer’ Roy Paskell stalked and hit his ex-partner

By Ed McConnell

A self-styled horse whisperer whose calm nature is said to soothe even the most unruly stallion has been convicted of stalking and a string of assaults.

Roy Paskell – who ran equestrian centres in Aylesford and Faversham – continued to protest his innocence at Maidstone Magistrates’ Court.

The 66-year-old was found guilty of attacking his ex-partner on three occasions in February and March at the home they shared with her two small children in Warden, Sheppey.

Roy Paskell at Willow Farm in Ospringe

Roy Paskell at Willow Farm in Ospringe

Paskell, who is now living with his ex-wife in London, was also convicted of stalking her between May and June, waiting in laybys on roads he knew she used and following her.

Manjit Tesse, defending, said Paskell got into a relationship with the woman, who is 20 years younger than him, while she was working at his farm four years ago.

He was flattered a younger woman had showed interest in him, he said, and ended up moving to her home when his business went under.

Paskell had heart surgery and a stroke and was cared for by the victim but was verbally and physically abusive to her on an almost daily basis, the court heard.

He punched her in the arms and legs, pulled her hair and strangled her, receiving a caution for assault in 2015.

But the violence continued and in February he assaulted her twice, leading to her locking him out of the house.

Paskell is a self-styled horse whisperer. Stock image

Paskell is a self-styled horse whisperer. Stock image

When he couldn’t get in he shouted and swore and hit the door with a hammer.

He eventually persuaded her to take him back but on March 15, having drunk two bottles of wine, he pinned her against the fridge by her throat.

She retaliated by pouring a dog bowl over him and he followed her upstairs and punched her in the face in front of her five-year-old daughter.

Paskell moved out but he continued to contact the victim, sending her postcards and following her in his car.

On one occasion he followed her to her children’s primary school and waited in the car park staring at her.

He was sentenced to 84 days in prison, suspended for a year, handed a three-month curfew to stay at home from 7pm to 6am, told to complete 10 days rehabilitation and pay £735.

A year-long restraining order was also imposed.

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More