Published: 08:47, 28 March 2012 |
Updated: 09:43, 10 January 2014
Smoke could be seen a mile away after a gardener made a bonfire too close to his shed.
The 8ft by 8ft shed was engulfed by fire last night behind a terraced house in Elm Road, Gillingham.
Two crews from Medway Fire Station pulled a hosereel for 50 yards across back gardens after the shed's owner raised the alarm at 7.30pm.
He had made a bonfire a few feet from a wooden shed containing two propane cylinders, probably used for barbecues.
Firefighters removed one cylinder and managed to isolate the other so neither exploded.
They put out the fire within an hour but the shed was completely destroyed.
A Kent Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "We would like to remind people not to have bonfires near their sheds.
"A bonfire may seem safe but flames can 'jump', especially in the dry weather we've been having."
Don't miss out, subscribe today. Keep up to date with our newsletters.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating! PLUS, register for free!.
Find out what's going on in the garden, with Kent expert Lucy Hewett's weekly update.
Buy pictures that you've seen in a KM newspaper, or send in a picture and we will place it on our photo sales website so that you can purchase a super, unique gift.