Home   Medway   News   Article

Kitchen appliance causes fire at home in Sandling Way, St Mary's Island, Chatham

By Lynn Cox

Firefighters were called out to reports of garage fire at a home on St Mary’s Island, in Chatham Maritime earlier today.

A crew were called out shortly before 9.30am after a neighbour saw smoke coming from the garage of the property in Sandling Way.

One arrival firefighters found the smoke had cleared in the garage but they noticed a lot of smoke in the hallway of the home.

Firefighters were called to the scene. Stock picture

Firefighters were called to the scene. Stock picture

As a result they gained entry to the empty property and used a thermal imaging camera to check for any heat spots.

A spokesman for Kent Fire and Rescue service said: "They could see the heat through the building on the ground floor.

“This turned out to be a fire in the kitchen which appeared to be caused by a dishwasher.

"The crew used breathing apparatus to enter the home and put other the fire and made contact with the residents via their neighbour who were then able to return home.

"The crew left the scene just before 11am."

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More