Share

Clear

Tue

°C | 6°C

Clear spells

Wed

13°C | 8°C

Cloudy

Thu

16°C | 13°C

Home   Medway   News   Article

Gillingham pair released without charge after murder bid arrest as homeless man found seriously hurt in Great Lines park near King's Bastion

22 August 2014
by Lynn Cox

Two Gillingham men arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a homeless man was repeatedly stabbed have today been released without charge. 

The pair, who have not been named, were arrested on Wednesday after the 40-year-old victim was discovered by a passer-by.
 
They were kept in custody and questioned by detectives for almost 48 hours. 
Image released by police of a man stabbed in Gillingham

Image released by police of a man stabbed in Gillingham

Police this afternoon revealed the pair, both 32, have been released without charge - but are still appealing for witnesses.
 
Detectives had released a picture of the homeless man, who is still in a serious but stable condition in hospital after he suffered multiple stab wounds to his upper body. He is believed to have been stabbed in the back.
 
The unusual move was in a bid to find witnesses, but officers did not release his name.
 
He was found staggering across the Great Lines Park with multiple stab wounds by a passer-by on Monday evening.
 
Police say the man had been sleeping rough on a mattress there for about a month.
A forensic team on the Great Lines. Picture Steve Crispe

A forensic team on the Great Lines. Picture: Steve Crispe

Detectives from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate are investigating the attack, which happened near the King’s Bastion area, shortly after 8pm.
 
DCI Jon Clayden, who is leading the investigation, said: "It is important we are able to build a picture of the man's moments before he was assaulted.
 
"I would ask people to study the photo, do you know him? Did you see him? Where was he? What was he doing? If you can help, please call Kent Police.
 
"We are also particularly keen to hear from witnesses who may have seen two people, possibly males, in the area at around the time of the incident."
The tent where the injured man was living on the Great Lines. Picture Steve Crispe

The tent where the injured man was living on the Great Lines. Picture: Steve Crispe

The Great Lines was cordoned off behind Brompton Academy for most of the day while officers carried out an examination of the scene and a large part of the park was sealed off.
 
A tent was erected near trees and long grass which separate the school from the park and where the man had been sleeping.
 
Forensic officers were combing the area for clues while other uniformed officers guarded the crime scene.
 
Police today said the injured man was still in a specialist care unit at a London hospital, but in a stable condition.
Several police vehicles on the Great Lines after the stabbing. Picture Steve Crispe

Several police vehicles on the Great Lines after the stabbing. Picture: Steve Crispe

Anyone with information is asked to phone police on 101, quoting reference 18-1477 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.

 

Click here for more news from Medway.

Click here for more news from around the county.

Comments 

Forgotten Password?

Forgotten Username?

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.