Share

Light rain

Sun

17°C | 10°C

Sunny spells

Mon

17°C | 13°C

Moderate showers

Tue

16°C | 8°C

Home   Medway   News   Article

Two dogs rescued from burning house in White Road, Chatham

05 April 2014
by KentOnline reporter
Two dogs were rescued from a burning building by firefighters in Chatham yesterday.

 
Kent Fire and Rescue attended the scene

Kent Fire and Rescue attended the scene

 
The Bullmastiffs were trapped inside the house in White Road when fire crews arrived just before noon.

Crew manager Kevin Chapman said: “We could see the two dogs at the window, they were clearly terrified and struggling for air as the smoke layer was about three feet from the ceiling. 

"Our breathing apparatus team climbed in through a window that had smashed due to the heat from the fire and opened another window, which enabled the dogs to jump out to safety.”

A neighbour called 999 after smelling smoke and firefighters arrived within  five minutes. They were met with thick black smoke billowing from the house.

It is thought a cigarette had set light to rubbish stored by the back door. The fire then spread to the double glazing and internal side of the windows

Mr Chapman said: “There are some important safety messages to come from this incident; firstly, make sure cigarettes are completely stubbed out before you discard them.

"Secondly, please think carefully about where you store rubbish. As we’ve seen today, fires have the potential to become much larger. Fortunately it was detected early and extinguished swiftly by fire crews but it could have been a very different ending for these family pets.” 

The fire caused heavy smoke damage to the kitchen and light smoke damage throughout the house. The kitchen window, curtains, UPVC doors and work surface were also damaged.

Crews fitted working smoke alarms in the property and gave fire safety advice to the occupant. 

Click here for more news from Medway.

Click here for more news from around the county.