Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Charlie Phillips and Billy Phillips have left Invicta Dynamos after incident at the Chelmsford Chieftains

By Luke Cawdell
Billy Phillips on the ice earlier this season Picture: Dave Trevallion

Trouble at Invicta Dynamos’ table-topping game against the Chelmsford Chieftains has led to a double exit.

Phillips brothers Billy and Charlie have left the Gillingham-based club with immediate effect.

Trouble erupted when Invicta’s Charlie Phillips was ejected from Sunday’s game after an altercation with home player Ryan Giles.

Dynamos were trailing 5-1 at the time of the incident.

As Phillips left the rink, there were heated words exchanged on and off the ice.

Brother Billy Phillips was watching in the crowd, as he was serving the first of a three-game ban.

A video posted on YouTube today, which includes strong language, shows a man identified as the Phillips’ father confronting a Chelmsford supporter.

Dynamos issued a statement earlier, which said: “Following recent events the Invicta Dynamos wish to announce the departure of defencemen Billy and Charlie Phillips with both players leaving the team with immediate effect.

“As a club we will now be focussing all of our efforts on ensuring a successful end to the 2014/15 campaign.”

Charlie Phillips in action for the Mos Picture: Dave Trevallion

Chelmsford won the game 6-1 to reclaim top spot in ENIHL Division 1 South from the Mos.

The Essex side issued their own statement following the incident at the ice arena.

They said: “After reviewing the unfortunate incident that occurred at the game last night the club has no alternative to ban the individual involved from all future ice hockey games at Riverside Ice and Leisure.

“The club cannot have this kind of behaviour in what should be a family environment and we be adopting a zero tolerance view to any further incidents should any occur at any future games with no exceptions.”

The Phillips brothers joined the Mos at the start of this season despite both players ending last season under controversial circumstances.

Both players, who then played for London Raiders, were handed bans for their involvement in a fracas during last season’s play-off against Streatham which was subsequently abandoned.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More