Share

Mostly Cloudy

Mon

13°C | 10°C

Mostly Cloudy

Tue

13°C | 10°C

Light rain

Wed

12°C | 2°C

Home   Sheerness   News   Article

Miniature schnauzer George has emergency operation after swallowing fish hook after walk with owner Doug Ingram on Minster Leas

04 June 2014
by Emma Grove

Doug Ingram had taken his miniature schnauzers George and Albert along the Minster Leas when the incident happened.

Two-year-old George was on the beach when Mr Ingram noticed something hanging from his pet’s mouth.

This is the lethal-looking fish hook that became lodged inside George - plus some loose change! Picture Wellpets

This is the lethal-looking fish hook that became lodged inside George - plus some loose change! Picture: Wellpets

He rushed over and realised it was fishing line, which he held on to, to try to stop the hook being eaten, but it was too late.

George was taken to Wellpets in Minster where an X-ray was carried out and staff then referred the dog for emergency surgery at the out-of-hours veterinary hospital at Newnham Court in Maidstone.

They were able to operate and remove the 5.5cm long hook – and also found coins in the stomach to the value of £3.06.

These had shown up on the x-ray and there were fears it could be a float from the hook.

Mr Ingram’s wife Vicky, of Uplands Way, Halfway, said it was heartbreaking to watch Albert pining for George all because of someone’s stupidity.

“We want to make other dog walkers aware about this and that they should be bloody careful,” she said.

Doug and Vicky Ingram with dogs George and Albert

Doug and Vicky Ingram with dogs George and Albert

“People are being inconsiderate and lazy and not clearing up after themselves and spoiling it for everyone.

“It could have been horrendous.”

She said Wellpets were absolutely brilliant and also thanked the person who helped her husband with Albert while he was dealing with George.

Regional manager at Wellpets Vicki Smith said she had seen numerous animals, especially birds, injured by fish hooks.

The lethal-looking hook was removed from George

The lethal-looking hook was removed from George

“George was quite lucky as it definitely could have been lethal if it had pierced his oesophagus or stomach,” she said.

“The Leas is a really nice dog walking area and it’s unfair if people don’t clear up after themselves.”

 

Click here for more news from Sheerness.

Click here for more news from around the county.

Comments 

Forgotten Password?

Forgotten Username?

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.