Home   Sheerness   News   Article

Sheerness: Two dogs receive oxygen therapy after one of them is thought to have caused a kitchen fire in Medway Road

By Steve Waite

Two dogs had a lucky escape after one of them is believed to have sparked a fire in a house in Sheerness.

Firefighters used pet oxygen masks to revive the Chihuahuas after a small blaze in a kitchen in Medway Road at about 7.15pm yesterday.

It is thought to have been caused by one of the dogs jumping onto the hob and accidentally switching it on.

Animal oxygen masks. Stock image

Animal oxygen masks. Stock image

The woman who lived there was out at the time and a neighbour heard the smoke alarm sounding and went to investigate.

He found a chip pan smouldering on the hob and took it outside which caused it to ignite.

Sheppey Fire Station crew manager Mark Skinner said: “On route to the house we were told by our emergency control room staff that the resident had returned home.

“Concerned for the safety of her dogs she had gone into her home to find them. But when we arrived she was outside with the pets.

Animal oxygen masks

Animal oxygen masks

“We used a fire blanket to smother the small chip pan fire and were able to treat both dogs simultaneously using our new pet oxygen masks.”

Both fire engines from Sheppey Fire Station were sent and each carries the new masks, bought last month thanks to a donation from Sheppey Round Table.

Mr Skinner added: “Pets are curious so if you know there is a chance they may jump on cookers, please always switch them off at the wall and never leave them alone near open flames.

“The best way to protect your family and pets from fires is to include them in your family escape plan.

Sheppey Fire Station crew manager Jim Ashby demonstrates the new animal oxygen mask on Cocoa

Sheppey Fire Station crew manager Jim Ashby demonstrates the new animal oxygen mask on Cocoa

“Rather than going into a burning building, try calling your pets to get them to leave the house without you having to go inside.

“When you leave pets alone, try to keep them near the entrance of your home as this will help fire crews if they have to rescue them.

“You could also leave leashes and crates at the ready as this will help us get them out of the home quickly.”

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More