The UK's fastest-growing regional news network
20°C | 12°C
22°C | 12°C
23°C | 13°C
See the full forecast for your area.
Sponsored by Britelite.
Home Sittingbourne News Article
It comes after a 10-month-old boy almost choked on a chicken bone inside a jar of baby food.
Callum Stanton was eating a Cow & Gate Sunday Lunch meal when he started gagging.
Mum Naomi Sidders was sitting next to her son while her dad Steve, 50, spoon fed his grandson.
She claims the tot then coughed up the sharp item, which measures over an inch long.
After checking he was all right, she called the helpline on the back of the product to complain about the incident, which happened at about 5pm on Friday.
The 28-year-old, of Lords Close, Bapchild, said: “It was covered in food and looked like a slither of chicken on the spoon, so my dad put it in Callum’s mouth.
“Luckily, he spat it out. I was shocked. I checked the back of the jar to see if it said anything about it possibly containing small bits of bone but it didn’t so I rang the helpline.
“They said no one was in the complaints department then it got to about 6.30pm and someone rang me back.
“I asked if they wanted the batch number so they could recall the product but she said they wouldn’t do that as it was the only report and asked me to send it back to them.
“It’s not compensation I’m after, I don’t want money. I just want others to be aware and make sure it doesn’t happen again. It’s not just a small bit of bone, it’s massive" - Naomi Sidders
“It’s not compensation I’m after, I don’t want money. I just want others to be aware and make sure it doesn’t happen again. It’s not just a small bit of bone, it’s massive.
“He’s my only child so I’ve got the time to sit there and watch him eat but some people with three of four kids don’t.
“We take it for granted that because they make baby products they’re going to be safe.”
Miss Sidders is waiting for the company to send her a bag in the post so she can return the container and the bone so an investigation can be carried out.
A Cow & Gate spokesman said: “Once we have had the opportunity to investigate this complaint, we will contact Miss Sidders with our findings.
“We can reassure parents that this is an isolated complaint and we have not received any similar complaints for this batch of Cow & Gate Chicken Sunday Lunch.”
Click here for more news from Sittingbourne.
Click here for more news from around the county.