Isolated Thunder


24°C | 16°C

Light showers


27°C | 14°C

Moderate showers


22°C | 12°C

Home   Thanet   News   Article

Warning after fire destroys shed in Westfield Road, Margate

20 March 2014
by Julia Collins


Kent Fire and Rescue

Kent Fire and Rescue

Firefighters in Margate are renewing calls for residents to heed vital safety warnings.

It comes after a discarded cigarette is believed to be the cause of a fire which destroyed a garden shed and damaged two houses in Birchington last Tuesday.

The incident in Westfield Road was discovered when the resident looked out of her kitchen window at 10.30pm and saw her garden shed was alight.

She realised it was spreading towards her home, dialled 999 and then left the house her three young children.

Two fire engines were sent to the property and crews put out the blaze, which was breaking through into the kitchen.

The fire destroyed the garden shed, melted the guttering on a neighbouring property and caused damage to the roof and garden furniture. A LPG cylinder stored in the shed exploded.

Margate watch manager Craig Newman said: “The fire is thought to have started after the resident had been smoking in her back garden and not stubbed the cigarette out completely before discarding it.

“Smokers need to be aware of the fire risks of smoking, tobacco burns at very high temperatures – it’s designed to stay lit. That’s why cigarettes can so quickly start a fire. It’s vital that when you put it out, you make sure it really is out.”

Margate firefighters have been campaigning in the area recently to highlight the dangers of discarded smoking materials.

They joined colleagues from Margate Task Force and the NHS Stop Smoking team at the Margate Gateway to offer free fire safety advice and urge all smokers to think seriously about quitting.

BLOB For more fire safety advice contact Kent Fire and Rescue Service for free on 0800 924 7000.

Click here for more news from Thanet.

Click here for more news from around the county.