Share

Broken cloud

Fri

°C | 8°C

Clear spells

Sat

16°C | 9°C

Broken cloud

Sun

16°C | 11°C

Home   Thanet   News   Article

Arrest after Jarrad Swan killed in gas cylinder explosion at Adams Gas in Bath Road in Margate

25 June 2014
by KentOnline reporter

A man has today been arrested on suspicion of killing a teenager who died in a gas cylinder explosion in Margate

Jarrad Swan, believed to be 18, died following the blast and a blaze at Adams Gas, in Bath Road, yesterday afternoon.

Now a 42-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter as an investigation involving the police, fire crews and the Health and Safety Executive continues.

Jarrad Swan died in a gas cylinder explosion in Margate

Jarrad Swan died in a gas cylinder explosion in Margate

Another man was seriously injured in the blaze that broke out at the gas suppliers' yard at about 3.30pm.

A police spokesman said: "Kent Police is investigating a fire at a premises in Bath Road, Margate, which took place at 3.41pm on June 24.

"Detectives are currently treating the cause as suspicious.

"A 42-year-old local man has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and has been bailed until Friday, June 27 pending further enquiries." 

Firefighters arrive in Margate. Picture @WillSanderson

Firefighters arrive at the scene in Margate. Picture: @WilSanderson

Around 20 firefighters were called to the yard, near the Mulberry pub, after people nearby reported hearing a massive bang.

The Kent air ambulance said Mr Swan had suffered severe burns and died at the scene. His mother and sister are believed to have arrived soon after the disaster.

Friends have been paying tribute to Mr Swan, who is believed to have been a father and a former East Kent College student.

Family friend Jude Enever visited the site to lay flowers this afternoon.

"He was a good lad who had just turned into an adult, who had got a job, had a family and was beginning his life..." - family friend Jude Enever
She said: "When he was young he was very cheeky, very funny and active, and he loved his motorbikes. He was a typical boy.
 
"He was a lovely boy and was very loved. He came from a very loving home, a fantastic mum - brilliant family
 
"I can't imagine how they must feel. My daughter had taken it very badly because she was very close with Jarrad when they were younger. She only saw him a couple of weeks ago.
 
"He was a good lad who had just turned into an adult, who had got a job, had a family and was beginning his life.
 
"They are an amazing family and I feel devastated. Words cannot express how they must be feeling.
 
"He was a lovely lad and I'm grateful that I was close to him and his mum when he was younger."
Floral tributes to Jarrad Swan outside Adams Gas in Margate

Floral tributes to Jarrad Swan outside Adams Gas in Margate

 
Nearby resident Lynn Wright, who lives in Dane Road, was on her way home as she passed the scene yesterday.
 
She said: "I saw the activity and the fire engines and the crowd and spoke to people on the pavement who told me that there had been an explosion and some people might be injured.
 
"Then a policeman came over and spoke to a young girl in the crowd and took her aside and the next minute she ran back into the road.
 
"When I asked if she was alright, she said 'No I'm not, it was my brother that was killed.
 
"Then the mother arrived and the poor woman just collapsed. I said that I was sorry for her loss and she said thank you."
A Facebook tribute page set up in honour of Jarrad Swan

A Facebook tribute page set up in honour of Jarrad Swan

Hundreds of people have already joined a Facebook tribute page.

A message on the site said: "In memory of a young lad who has sadly been taken too soon in a tragic fire earlier today, June 24th 2014. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family. Xx"

A memorial for Mr Swan is due to be held in Bath Road from about 2pm today for those wishing to pay their respects. 

Fire crews were called to Adams Gas in Margate. Picture @WilSanderson

Fire crews were called to Adams Gas in Margate. Picture: @WilSanderson

Kent Fire and Rescue Service said it took around two hours to bring the blaze under control.

An air ambulance landed in nearby Dane Park, but the injured man was taken to the QEQM Hospital in Margate by road.

KFRS said the cause of the fire is not yet known.

The Health and Safety Executive is sending a team to the site today to carry out an initial investigation.

A spokesman said investigators will be working with police officers.

An air ambulance landed in nearby Dane Park. Picture Doug Knight

An air ambulance landed in nearby Dane Park. Picture: Doug Knight

The fire led to traffic restrictions on Bath Road between Bath Place and Dane Road.

Crews from Kent Police and South East Coast Ambulance Service were also at the scene.


 Stories you might have missed

Benefits cheat spared jail despite stealing £100,000

Cafe owner fighting for life after seafront horror crash

Trauma of fire victims one year after huge flats blaze

Investigation after schoolboy bitten by dog in street


 

Click here for more news from Thanet.

Click here for more news from around the county.

Comments 

Forgotten Password?

Forgotten Username?

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.