Published: 12:00, 07 March 2018
| Updated: 12:30, 07 March 2018
A Hildenborough resident was forced to flee her home as fire spread in her kitchen this morning (Wednesday).
The resident had left a pan filled with cooking oil unattended in Vines Lane, when her smoke alarm sounded off at around 9.30am.
Despite attempts to move the pan, the fire spread onto the kitchen floor and a cupboard.
At this point, the woman left her house and called the fire brigade, closing the kitchen door behind her.
Fire crews put out the flames and used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke from the property.
The woman was treated for breathing in smoke but did not require an ambulance.
"It's fortunate that the house had working smoke alarms" Danny Barrett, watch manager.
Watch Manager Danny Barrett said: "Our advice to anyone finding themselves in a similar situation would be to avoid moving the pan, as this could result in a serious injury.
"Instead, turn off the cooker, only if is safe to do so, and get out of the property as soon as you can, closing internal doors behind you. As this incident highlights, never leave cooking unattended as a fire can break out sooner than you realise.
"It's fortunate that the house had working smoke alarms, and the occupant's actions in closing the kitchen door on her way out, definitely reduced the spread of smoke in the house."
From academic achievements to engineering accolades and new facilities, Kent College offers students an outstanding school life.
Enter this month’s competition and you could win a luxurious return crossing!Sponsored editorial
There's no uniform or bells and students and staff are on first name terms. School life at Rochester Independent College is unique.
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.