Home   Weald   News   Article

Rat poison left in Tattlebury Lane, Headcorn

By Claire McWethy

Wendy Hinds came across dozens of pellets at the entrance to a footpath off Tattlebury Lane, leading to Great Tong Farm, during her morning walk on Wednesday.

Her new rescue dog Gracie was rushed into Maidstone Vets 4 Pets after gobbling up the poison, which can cause internal bleeding with fatal results.

Wendy Hinds is warning dog owners about rat poison left in Headcorn after her dog Gracie ate some

Wendy Hinds is warning dog owners about rat poison left in Headcorn after her dog Gracie ate some

The pooch is now home and on the mend, but Ms Hinds is warning other pet owners to be vigilant.

She fears the poison was put down maliciously after hearing from other walkers that poison had been cleared from the same spot just days before.

Ms Hinds said: “Luckily I managed to flick some of the bits of whatever she had picked up out of her mouth, and picked up as much of the remaining poison that I could, both to save other dogs and to show the vets.

“Gracie was given injections to make her sick and charcoal to soak up anything that she didn’t bring up.

“Please keep your eyes peeled and your dogs on a close rein, this has turned out to be very distressing to both us and Gracie.”

Rat poison left in Headcorn

Rat poison left in Headcorn

The case is yet to be reported to the police, but Ms Hinds said she would make them aware.

Angela van der Park, a vet at the Sutton Road surgery, said: “Cases like this are not uncommon for us to see, we get them about once a month.

“Rat poison causes issues with blood clotting, which is a real danger and usually takes a few days to take effect.

“If the owner does not know their dog has eaten it, it can lead to invasive treatment such as a blood transfusion.

“Our advice is to go a vet straight away if you suspect your pet has eaten something
it shouldn’t, and to bring a sample of the poison along if you can.”

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More