Published: 00:01, 03 April 2014 |
Updated: 11:43, 03 April 2014
A child sparked a kitchen blaze after putting a toy in the microwave.
The fire started after the youngster put a toy bowl in the oven and switched it on, causing it to catch alight.
The smoke alarms in the property alerted the child’s mother to the blaze and she phoned 999.
Two fire engines from Medway were sent to the terraced house in Balmoral Road at 2.35pm yesterday and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish the small fire.
Crew Manager, Darryl Spicer, said: “The kitchen can be a very dangerous room for young children who are naturally curious and imitate people around them. My advice would be to make your kitchen a child-free zone unless you are supervising them at all times.
“This incident once again highlights the importance of having working smoke alarms in your home, they really can and do save lives.”
The fire was limited to the kitchen and the mother suffered a slight burn to her hand and arm.
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.
Your No1 guide to getting married in Kent. From dresses to discos and venues to veils, we've got everything you could possibly need for your big day
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating!
PLUS, register for free!.
Read our pick of the best holiday destinations. Whether its a weekend break, or something a little bit longer, we have reviewed a wide range of holidays.