Published: 09:34, 31 July 2014 |
Updated: 10:36, 31 July 2014
Chatham flats were evacuated early today after residents woke to find flames licking at their windows.
Five people from the second floor had to leave the building after smoke and flames took hold at around 2am.
Firefighters believe the cause was a discarded cigarette that set light to a mattress next to a gas main outside the flats in Luton Road.
Crews and two fire engines were on the scene for an hour.
A Kent Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "The gas main had ignited and flames and smoke were billowing up the front of the property.
"Fortunately, no one was hurt and the structure of the building was not affected."
Some smoke damage was caused to a ground floor flat, which was unoccupied.
Firefighters also tackled a blazing caravan and nearby hedge yesterday.
At 12.10pm, two fire engines were sent out to Common Lane, Cliffe.
The fire was extinguished within 15 minutes and no injuries have been reported.
Stories you might have missed
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating! PLUS, register for free!.
Neil Miller, Hever Castle head gardener is new gardening blogger.
Buy pictures that you've seen in a KM newspaper, or send in a picture and we will place it on our photo sales website so that you can purchase a super, unique gift.