Highways bosses hope to reopen all three lanes tomorrow on a long stretch of motorway blighted by accidents since it was covered in roadworks.
Motorists on the M20 have faced months of misery with narrow lanes and a 50mph limit in force between junctions 8 for Leeds Castle and 9 for Ashford.
But Highways England says it plans to remove all of the roadworks from both directions of the carriageway by tomorrow.
Earlier this year, a spate of crashes caused delays on the road, with a cement mixer overturning in September after clipping the temporary concrete barrier.
Statistics showed there were nearly 50 accidents in just one month on the stretch, which led to Ashford MP Damian Green contacting Highways England about the roadworks.
Highways bosses introduced the roadworks on the stretch in July as they are working on a temporary solution to help avoid the need to activate Operation Stack on the M20.
The works, costing £25 million, will allow for two-way travel on the London-bound carriageway between junctions 8 and 9 from March 2019 at periods of extraordinary cross-Channel disruption following Brexit.
A Highways England spokesman said: "Further carriageway works including installation of CCTV will resume in the New Year.
"Weather permitting, we hope to have all the steel barrier removed from the carriageway, and the carriageway returned to three lanes running between junction 8 and 9 by December 22.
"While works will resume in January 2020 we do no currently anticipate needing to reduce the number of lanes to complete the work."