Published: 09:04, 24 May 2018
| Updated: 09:32, 24 May 2018
The cause of a fire which damaged a recycling plant on the Cobbs Wood industrial estate remains unknown.
Firefighters rushed to the Viridor Transfer Station in Brunswick Road in the early hours of Thursday, May 10.
Almost 12 hours later, they managed to completely extinguish the blaze and began investigating the cause, but no update on the cause has been released.
Viridor says fires can be caused accidentally by residents putting waste in incorrect bins.
They said: “Due to the nature of firefighting efforts at waste sites, waste is moved to allow the fire service to work.
“This movement of waste and the use of liquid to extinguish fires makes it difficult to pinpoint the source.
“However, the usual suspects include lithium ion batteries - found in a variety of items including mobile phones, eCigarettes, children’s toys, cameras and laptops, hot ash from barbecues, cigarette lighters and gas canisters.
“This is why Viridor appeals to residents to put the right stuff in the right bin.”
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.