Home   Ashford   News   Article

Family escape fire at listed building in Westwell

Fire stock
Fire stock

by Samantha Williams

A family of five managed to escape a ferocious blaze at their 500-year-old listed home in Westwell, near Ashford, last night.

Fire crews from Ashford and Folkestone were called to the two storey home in Watery Lane at around 8.40pm yesterday after the homeowners called 999 after discovering a fire had started in their utility room.

Watch Manager Clive Douglas said: "The residents were watching television when they heard a series of loud bangs, they went to investigate and saw that the main electrical intake to the house was well alight.

"Fortunately the family – two adults and three children – managed to get out and we sent two pumps to the scene although this was quickly increased to three pumps.

"On arrival, we found a serious fire developing on the ground floor and spreading through to the first floor but the crews – wearing breathing apparatus – worked extremely well and 80% of the building was saved."

Around 20% of the home's ground and first floor were damaged by the fire.

The home also suffered from smoke damage.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service's group manager Nick James praised crews saying: "It was a great effort by all who attended to limit the amount of damage."

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More