Home   Ashford   News   Article

Ashford: Police continue to investigate Albert Bishop murder 10 years on

A desperate family has issued an emotional appeal to find their dad’s killer – nearly 10 years after his death.

Albert Bishop, 74, who was also known as Taffy, was brutally attacked outside his home a decade ago but no one has ever been charged with his murder.

Amanda Reynolds, the victim’s daughter, said: “For our family it doesn’t seem like a decade since dad was attacked because it is still so raw in our minds.

Murder victim Taffy Bishop at his home
Murder victim Taffy Bishop at his home

“Dad was an eccentric and well-liked man who cared deeply for his family and we all still miss him dearly.

“Not knowing what really happened that day adds to our pain.

"Someone must know something and if they have any decency, they’ll come forward.”

His other daughter, Sarah Bishop, added: “It’s hard knowing that the person who attacked our dad is probably still at large.

“To lose your parent in such circumstances is traumatic, and the lack of justice adds to the anguish.

“I hope the 10-year anniversary of this horrendous attack will trigger someone’s memory or conscience, and they will come forward with information.”

Amanda Reynolds at a press conference about her dad's murder in 2012
Amanda Reynolds at a press conference about her dad's murder in 2012

On the morning of the assault, on March 18, 2007, Mr Bishop had been at Ashford market on the Orbital Park where he helped at a grocery stall, which also sold imported cigarettes.

When he returned to his Hythe Road home about midday, he was attacked in the hallway by a man wielding a hammer.

His daughter Sarah came home just minutes later and found him seriously injured.

After the attack, Mr Bishop told detectives his attacker was a white man in his 50s who stole about £700 of cash from him and left with it in a blue Nike rucksack containing his grandson’s work boots.

He suffered serious arm and head injuries and was treated at several hospitals in Kent and Essex.

He was subsequently discharged with ongoing medical treatment, but had a fall at home on June 30 fracturing his femur.

"It’s hard knowing the person who attacked our dad is still at large" - Sarah Bishop

He was hospitalised and operated on, but died of his injuries at the William Harvey Hospital in Ashford on July 13.

As his death was deemed to have been directly caused by his assault, a Home Office pathologist ruled it should be treated as murder.

Since his death, police have continued investigating, but the case remains unsolved.

A force spokesman said: “Unsolved cases such as this one are subject to regular reviews by the Cold Case Team.

“There have been no arrests at this stage and no new developments.

"However, this case will continue to be reviewed by officers who will explore any new information or evidence that comes to light.

"Anyone with any new information, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant, should contact Kent Police on 101.”

In July 2012, an Ashford woman admitted sending an anonymous, threatening Christmas card with letters made from newspaper cuttings card to Albert Bishop’s daughter.

Sharon-Anne Hills, 47, sent the sick note to Amanda Reynolds addressed from ‘Dad’s Killer’.

Hills, a colleague of Amanda, was arrested under the Malicious Communications Act after an investigation by police, and admitted the offence when she appeared at Canterbury Magistrates.

She was sentenced to 40 hours community service and ordered to pay £200 compensation and £85 in court costs.

Det Insp Lee Whitehead from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate said the card sent caused significant alarm and distress to Amanda and her family.

More by this author

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More