Published: 09:40, 12 January 2018
A resident used a hosepipe and a duvet cover to smother a blaze inside their home caused by an electrical surge.
The blaze, believed to be caused by an overloaded extension cable, triggered fire alarms at the Acorn Close home, Kingsnorth at 4am this morning waking the resident.
When Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) arrived the flames had already been extinguished.
A KFRS spokesman issued a warning over the use of extension cables and outlined advice on how to stay safe.
They said: "Most people have extension leads in their homes, which they use to increase the number of appliances that they can plug into a wall socket.
"However, although there is space to plug in a number of electrical appliances, this does not mean it is always safe to do so.
"Don't overload electrical adaptors by plugging too many appliances into one socket, especially those with a high electrical current rating such as kettles, irons and heaters."
They advised turning off electrical appliances not in use, particularly at night, to minimize the potential of a fire igniting.
"Have smoke alarms on every floor of your home to keep you and your loved ones safe.
"Test them regularly so that you know they will work should you need them," they added.
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.