Published: 00:00, 29 April 2016
| Updated: 08:59, 29 April 2016
A mum and her baby daughter had a lucky escape after a car parked on her driveway caught fire and nearly spread to her house.
Jenna Yates, 30, was at home in Christopher Bushell Way in the Little Burton estate in Ashford when the blaze broke out shortly after 10.30pm last night (Thursday, April 28).
She said: “Normally I would be in bed, but I was up watching a film. I heard some bangs outside. My car was on fire.
"My daughter was sound asleep upstairs so I had to grab her out of her cot and she was fast asleep.
“I was really worried it was going to spread to the house as well, and a friends car was parked up next to mine. We had to walk out past the car on fire to get out of the house.
“I called the fire brigade and it seemed like forever, it must have been about ten minutes before they arrived.”
When fire crews arrived they found the car was well alight with flames causing damage to the guttering and soffits.
“We were there for about an hour and our quick actions stopped the fire from spreading to the house" - night watch firefighter
A fireman on night watch said: “They heard a few pops and bangs and came out to find the vehicle on fire. We used two hose reel jets and compressed air foam to put the fire out.
“We were there for about an hour and our quick actions stopped the fire from spreading to the house.”
Ms Yates was given a smoke alarm for the ground floor of her home.
She said that the cause of the fire could have been an electrical fault with the car which she purchased two weeks ago.
She was supported by neighbours and was able to return into her home with her daughter soon afterwards.