Home   Bexley and Bromley   Sport   Article

Welling United 2 Billericay Town 0 match report: Adam Coombes and Anthony Cook score for Welling

Adam Coombes’ brilliant second-half header put Welling on the road to victory over Billericay on Saturday.

The Wings dominated in National League South on Saturday but took nearly an hour to find a way past former Gillingham and Dartford keeper Alan Julian.

Welling manager Bradley Quinton. Picture: Keith Gillard (31574045)
Welling manager Bradley Quinton. Picture: Keith Gillard (31574045)

Coombes headed in from distance and then skipper Anthony Cook scores from the penalty spot after Michael Chambers’ challenge on substitute Bradley Goldberg.

That Welling took 59 minutes to score was down entirely to the excellent Julian. Time after time he was called into action during a one-sided first half.

Julian beat away Phil Roberts’ 20-yard shot and then brilliant feet by Diaz Wright opened up an opportunity that the keeper kept out, Dipo Akinyemi’s rebound attempt being deflected over for a corner.

Robert was again denied by Julian before Cook’s long-range swerving shot was turned behind.

Cook’s deflected cross hit Chambers and the outside of the upright before Coombes was denied from distance and then Julian was out smartly to thwart Roberts after a delightful Welling move.

The closest Welling came in the first half was three minutes before the break when Rob Swaine headed back a deep Cook cross and Akinyemi sent his header against the post.

Billericay were fortunate not to be reduced to 10 men just two minutes into the second half. Former Gillingham midfielder Doug Loft pulled back Coombes off the ball, referee Rob Whitton giving a free-kick but deciding not to show a second yellow card having booked Loft for a late foul on Cook early in the first half.

Akinyemi was denied by the legs of Julian as the pattern of the game continued with Welling playing some nice football, attacking with pace and intent.

It was always going to take something special to beat Julian, and it arrived when Coombes met Cook’s early right-wing cross and directed his header into the top corner from 15 yards.

Coombes nearly repeated the trick on 66 minutes but right-back Ben Nunn got back to clear his header off the line.

Billericay manager Jamie O’Hara, the former Wolves and Tottenham midfielder, introduced himself for the final 19 minutes, and was promptly booed by the home fans every time he touched the ball.

His arrival, along with former Maidstone forward Jake Robinson, prompted a much-needed change in formation for Billericay and they finally showed some intent.

Joe Quigley went close with a downward header before Robinson took advantage of an error by Swaine but could only sent his right-foot shot the wrong side of the upright.

Welling, whose play deserved five or six goals, finally put the game to bed five minutes from time when Chambers appeared to be harshly penalised. Cook’s spot-kick gave Julian no chance.

Julian still had time to produce another great stop, denying Swaine at point-blank range from a corner.

Welling: Wilks, Dymond, McCallum (Goldberg 80mins), James, Swaine, Wright, Roberts (Johnson 76mins), Agyemang, Akinyemi, Coombes (Henry 86mins), Cook. Subs not used: Krabbendam, Rolt.

Billericay: Julian, Nunn (Robinson 71mins), Hudson (O’Hara 71mins), Henry, Potter, Shields, Loft, Quigley, Akinwande, Chambers, Paxman (Cole 54mins). Subs not used: Noel-Williams, Gillela.

Attendance: 925.

Read more: All the latest sports news in Kent

More by this author

This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More