Home   Canterbury   News   Article

Bungalow saved after washing machine blaze

Fire stock
Fire stock

A man saved his bungalow from serious damage after his washing machine burst into flames.

The quick-thinker isolated the electrical supply after he was alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm on Sunday morning.

Fire crews raced to his home in The Grove, Herne Bay, and entered the building wearing breathing apparatus.

They quickly put out the blaze and checked for hotspots using a thermal imaging camera. No one was injured in the fire.

Watch manager Leon Dyball said: “As we’ve seen by this incident, fires can break out in electrical appliances and power outlets with very little warning and if this had occurred when the occupant was out or sleeping, it could have been far more serious.

“For this reason, I would strongly recommend that homeowners fit and maintain a smoke alarm to alert you or your neighbours to a fire in your home.”

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More