Published: 00:00, 01 December 2014
| Updated: 14:05, 01 December 2014
A former British soldier killed in a suicide bomb attack in Afghanistan while working as a bodyguard was from Canterbury, it has emerged.
Ronnie Jessiman, from Waters Edge, is thought to have died instantly when a Taliban bomber slammed a car laden with explosives into his vehicle.
Mr Jessiman, who had served with 5 Scots, the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, was travelling in a convoy between Jalalabad and the capital Kabul when it was ambushed.
The bomber’s Toyota Corolla car exploded, blowing Mr Jessiman’s British embassy vehicle across the road and ripping off its roof.
An Army source, said: "Ronnie was an experienced soldier and really knew his stuff. It’s just a tragedy. After he left the army, he worked in close protection - his role at the time he died.
"He had years of experience with 5 SCOTS which he was putting to good use in Afghan. It just shows you that no matter how good your skills and drills are, sometimes your luck just runs out.”
"I am deeply saddened to confirm that a British national civilian security team member and an Afghan national working for the Embassy were killed in the incident..." - Foreign secretary Philip Hammond
Foreign secretary Phillip Hammond confirmed that two British embassy workers died in the convoy attack on Friday morning.
"I am deeply saddened to confirm that a British national civilian security team member and an Afghan national working for the Embassy were killed in the incident," said Mr Hammond.
Mr Jessiman was working for private security firm G4S following a successful career in the army. Before joining the security firm, he was a section commander in 5 SCOTS Fire Support Group, which had been based at Howe Barracks.
As well as Mr Jessiman, an Afghan national working at the embassy was killed in the blast.
Mr Hammond added: “I condemn this appalling attack on innocent civilians supporting our diplomatic activity.
The families of the victims have been informed and my thoughts are with them. The Foreign Office will do everything it can to support them.
“This outrage brings home to us once again the courage and perseverance of the people of Afghanistan and members of the international community who support them, who have lived together through decades of conflict.
“We will not allow such inhumanity to deter us from continuing our partnership with the Government of Afghanistan. I have nothing but admiration for the staff of the Embassy, British and Afghan, who work at great personal risk to help build a better future for Afghanistan.”
Stories you might have missed