Home   Canterbury   News   Article

Homophobic teenager Jack Green stabbed woman in chest after clash in Pizza Direct in Canterbury

A 16-year-old boy who plunged a knife into a woman’s chest in a homophobic attack has been put behind bars.

Jack Green’s victim bared her permanent scar in court and described how the unprovoked assault in Canterbury city centre destroyed her life.

Jack Green has been sentenced to more than four years behind bars
Jack Green has been sentenced to more than four years behind bars

The teenage thug, who can now be named for the first time after reporting restrictions were overturned by KentOnline, was yesterday handed 54 months inside a Young Offenders’ Institute.

Canterbury Crown Court was told how Megan Murphy and three friends ran into Green and four others in Direct Pizza in Northgate in the early hours of October.

Initially conversations remained friendly, however, Green took issue when Miss Murphy’s friend, Lewis Eaves, said he was bisexual.

Shortly after, Miss Murphy’s group left towards Victoria Row when they noticed Green and four others behind them.

The group following smashed up a nearby telephone box and armed themselves with makeshift weapons, then bombarded Miss Murphy and her friends with bottles and bricks.

Green also continued to shout homopobhic language towards Mr Eaves.

“The defendant’s group appeared behind them after looping around a side street, and having appeared for a second time, they began to throw glass bottles and bricks at the group,” prosecutor James Benson said.

“No one was injured at that stage.”

Jack Green started being abusive in Direct Pizza in Northgate (54139443)
Jack Green started being abusive in Direct Pizza in Northgate (54139443)

CCTV played in court showed the groups stood face to face for about two minutes, with Green’s group shouting abuse including “she’s feisty” and “she’s dead”.

When the altercation moved off screen, Miss Murphy could be heard screaming in shock, before Green’s group were seen fleeing.

Prosecutor James Benson described how Green drew a curved blade from his right pocket and moved towards Miss Murphy in Victoria Row.

“He raised the knife over his head, Megan Murphy raised her hands to protect herself, she stepped backwards, and the defendant plunged the knife into her upper right chest," he said.

The blade pierced two inches under her skin, missing vital organs and soft tissue, allowing Miss Murphy to make a full physical recovery.

But she is still left with the mental trauma.

“It has absolutely scarred me for life - I am a shadow of my former self..."

Her scar visible in court, Miss Murphy said she was forced to place her studies on hold while processing her ordeal.

“Regularly I wake up in the middle of the night replaying the attack,” she said.

“It has absolutely scarred me for life - I am a shadow of my former self.”

Mr Benson asked Miss Murphy to turn to the judge.

“Is that the scar on your chest?” he asked.

“Yes,” she replied.

“How long is that expected to last?" Mr Benson continued.

“For the rest of my life,” Miss Murphy responded.

Green, supported by family in court, appeared visibly distressed as Miss Murphy told of her battle with post-traumatic stress disorder.

Mr Eaves described the attack as “animalistic rage”, adding he was “appalled by the biphobic attitude,” in a statement read in court.

Green pleaded guilty to wounding with intent and using threatening words and behaviour at a previous hearing.

He has one previous conviction, for affray, after chasing two women and vandalising their car.

The judge, Recorder Matthew McDonagh, ruled Mr Eaves disclosing his sexual orientation “culminated in the attack.”

Telling Green he played a leading role, the judge added: “Lewis Eaves was physically targeted and called a derogatory word by you.

“You lunged at Miss Murphy and she raised her arms to protect herself. You plunged that knife from an overhead position into the right chest of Miss Murphy.

“You shouted homophobic abuse, you had a knife, and you used it.”

Green, of Pye Alley Lane, Whitstable, will have time spent on remand deducted from his overall sentence.

His lawyer, Paul Jackson, said Green was “deeply ashamed, remorseful” and “deeply upset as to the pain he had caused”.

He added Green wished to hand his victim a letter apologising for his actions, and claimed the attack would not have happened had he not drunk cider and wine.

Green hopes to work in construction and distance himself from negative influences in his life, Mr Jackson added.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More